WATARU OTANI, J.D.|
Following graduate school, Wataru OTANI worked in the IP departments of a major electrical machinery manufacturer and a baby product manufacturer. In those positions, his duties included performing and/or overseeing searches, preparing patent, design, and trademark applications, acquiring rights for patents, designs, and trademarks in Japan and overseas, developing filing strategies, handling litigation (mainly in China), negotiating licenses, conducting monetization of IP, reviewing contracts, and engaging in organization management.
He also has experience working in IP in China (Beijing) and the US (Washington, D.C.).He joined Sonoda & Kobayashi in February 2022.
- LL.M., Florida Coastal School of Law
- J.D., Omiya Law School
- M.Eng., Materials Science, Gunma University
- B.S., Applied Chemistry, Gunma University
- Japanese (native)
- Japan Patent Attorneys Association (JPAA)
- Passed US Patent Bar Examination (not licensed to practice in the US)
- 1st grade Certified Specialist of Intellectual Property Management (patent)
- HSK (Chinese Proficiency Test) Level 5